[postgis-users] SQL query to identify tables and views with geometry field

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Mon Nov 28 01:39:04 PST 2005

Hi, Armin,

Armin Burger wrote:
> But this query does not find the views based on tables, even if the
> tables themselves are registered in geometry_columns.

To be OpenGIS compliant, you need to add properly "faked" entries for
your views to the geometry_columns table.

There were some plans to replace the geometry_columns table with an
auto-generated view, but it is not really easy to do this correctly as
PostgreSQL currently does not allow parametrized custom datatypes, and
so we need to store srid, dimensionality and type our own way.

Markus