[postgis-users] Adding postgis column in COPY command?

Rick Schumeyer rschumeyer at ieee.org
Mon Nov 28 08:47:54 PST 2005

I have a database which does not yet contain a geometry column.  I populate
the database by creating a text file containing the records

from a perl script, and then issuing a COPY command.

I plan on adding a geometry column, but I am not sure the best way to get
the geometry information in.  I have seen examples

like "INSERT . GeomFromText(.)".  I'm guessing that I can't simply put a
GeomFromText(.) in a text file that is read

by the COPY command.

I could change the COPY to multiple INSERTS, but I believe this would really
slow things down.  I'm not familiar enough with postgis

to know if there is a way to do this with COPY.