[postgis-users] catalog value in geometry_columns

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Sat Oct 1 02:02:40 PDT 2005

I have a Postgis database built from dumped tables.

The new database does not have any entries in the geometry_columns table, so
I'm looking at a script to insert these.

I can get the geometrytype & dimension from the table easily enough, but I'm
confused by:

from the docs:
  "F_TABLE_CATALOG VARCHAR(256) NOT NULL, "
but
  "There is not PostgreSQL analogue of "catalog" so that column is left blank"

The field seems to have nothing in it, which I assume is a null string, rather
than a Postgres NULL?

What is the appropriate value to insert in this field?

Thanks,

  Brent Wood