[postgis-users] Overlap Queries - speed

rb rburghol at chesapeakebay.net
Tue Oct 4 12:59:21 PDT 2005

Brent,
If I understand correctly, the command AddBBox helps the index, not
replaces it. Since I had mentioened in my original post that both tables
had GIST indices, this is why you saw no one make that suggestion to me.

As it was, the use of the spatial index was very effective once I
eliminated the intersection command, reducing query time from over an
hour to a little over 2 minutes.

Also, with regards to the AddBBOx, this is implicit in all geom columns
in later versions.

r.b.