[postgis-users] tracing users activity

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Wed Oct 5 02:19:45 PDT 2005

Hi, Luca,

Luca Innocenti wrote:

> it's possible in PostGis taking trace of features modifications???
>
> i try to explain... i would like to remember every modification
> of feature position. I have a lot of users on my db and every user
> can modify the Db (data or position) and i would like tracing
> the activity for the integrity and correctness of the information (i made a
> daily backup but this is not a good solution)

This is not a PostGIS problem, but rather a PostgreSQL problem. I see
two possibilities:

- Use Triggers and Rules to create a log table that logs every change,
together with the user that made the change.

- Newer PostgreSQL releases (8.1 for shure, but maybe 8.0 has it)
provide the possibility for long-time transaction log storage and
point-in-time recovery.

HTH,
Markus