[postgis-users] Projection Question.

Michael Fuhr mike at fuhr.org
Mon Oct 17 18:58:30 PDT 2005

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 06:02:50PM -0700, Jason C. Leach wrote:
> I have a shape file that is in NAD83, UTM, Zone 11.  When I export the
> table (pgsql2shp) I would like to also create a .prj file for the
> shape file; I'll do this with a Python script.  If I use the text from
> the spatial_ref_sys table ArcMap complains that the projection does
> not agree with the data in the shape file.  If I replace and use the
> original .prj file I had when I imported the data ArcMap is happy.

I haven't used ArcMap so I'd start by reading its documentation to
see what's different between the format it expects and the values
in spatial_ref_sys.  I don't know if this matters, but one difference
that stands out between spatial_ref_sys and the .prj file you posted
is the former's AUTHORITY objects.  Does ArcMap accept them?  Have
you tried stripping them?  In Python you could do something like this:

import re

reauth = re.compile(r',AUTHORITY\[.+?\]')
prj = reauth.sub('', srtext_from_database)

Aside from the AUTHORITY objects there's little difference between
the srtext for SRID 26911 and what you posted.  Is ArcMap picky
about differences like "NAD83 / UTM zone 11N" vs. "NAD_1983_UTM_Zone_11N"
and "central_meridian" vs. "Central_Meridian", or the order of the
objects?

--
Michael Fuhr