[postgis-users] mapserver db connection

Frances Collier fcollier at preparedresponse.com
Mon Oct 24 13:29:03 PDT 2005

Hello,

I've been trying to find out what exactly Mapserver gets back from Postgis
when querying the tables. I haven't found this to be documented anywhere.
Does Postgis return a shape file, layer, or simply data rows? The reason I'm
asking is that I noticed a huge time difference between connecting to
Postgis and simply calling the shape files - with the Postgis being
significantly slower. I know Postgis offers a lot more functionality, but
for simple comparisons I do not have any type of filter applied.

I'd appreciate any knowledge, advice, and/or direction.

Thank you,

Frances Collier