[postgis-users] Out Of Memory Error on GiST Index

Martin Daly Martin.Daly at cadcorp.com
Thu Sep 1 06:20:03 PDT 2005

James, Joe,

> > I'm getting an Out Of Memory error when I try to create a
> GiST index
> > on a geometry column (PostGIS) with approximately
> 33,000,000 rows. I

We too have been having problems: ~425,000,000 row table; 4 Gb RAM;
one-off index creation at the end of an upload.  We have successfully
indexed ~60,000,000 rows in the past, on a machine with 2 Gb RAM.

We are in the process of preparing sample data to send to strk, but it
is not ours and is also a 8 Gb pg_dump file, and so a lot of hassle.  He
had offered to debug remotely, but we are on Windows only.  If you are
on Unix, then perhaps he can connect to you.

Regards,
Martin