[postgis-users] Buffer bug ?

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Wed Sep 7 11:03:09 PDT 2005

Ok, I downloaded your test case and tried comparing JTS,
GEOS-2.1.4 and GEOS-1.0.0.

I used PostGIS version 1.1.0CVS as test interface.
Nothing changed in collect() and npoints() since PostGIS-1.0.3,
so results should be about the same in the two versions.

The query is:

	-- ### is Number of features
	SELECT npoints(buffer(collect(geom), 1000))
	FROM ( select lga_geom as geom from lg_annee limit ### ) as foo;

Number of features: 200 (1106 input points in collected MultiPolygon)

	[JTS-1.7]    output_points 1754
		real    0m8.705s

	[GEOS-2.1.4] output_points 1816
		real    0m5.594s

	[GEOS-1.0.0] output_points 1735
		real    0m16.450s

Number of features: 400 (2320 input points in collected MultiPolygon)

	[JTS-1.7]    output_points 1897
		real    1m3.761s

	[GEOS-2.1.4] output_points 1959
		real    0m43.020s

	[GEOS-1.0.0] output_points 1912
		real    6m50.783s

Number of features: 1000 (5992 input points in collected MultiPolygon)

	[JTS-1.7]    output_points 2598
		real    9m20.873s

	[GEOS-2.1.4] output_points 2618
		real    10m54.414s

	[GEOS-1.0.0]
		KILLED AFTER:
		real    94m14.421s

I don't really understand why number of output points change, anyway
the test shows that GEOS-2.1.4 is *much* faster then GEOS-1.0.0
(and sometimes faster then JTS-1.7). For 1000 features GEOS-1.0.0
is completely stuck after 94 Minutes !!

So, to conclude, I could not verify the reported bug.

I suggest you update GEOS to version 2.1.4 and PostGIS
to the upcoming 1.0.4 release. Then, if you can reproduce the
OLD vs. NEW performance loss problem yourself, please provide a
*simple* test case.

As for killing GEOS during operation this is an old and known
problem we might approach soon or late, but it is not first
priority at the moment.

--strk;