[postgis-users] Why postgis is so slow?

Bai Jianhua baijianhua at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 23:47:00 PDT 2005

I import the sample data of ESRI ArcIMS(SantaClara/sc_streets, about
14m) into PostGIS, but when I try to create the index with postgresql
CREATE INDEX and VACCUM ANALYSIS, I found that it is very slow,
especially the VACCUM ANALYSIS command, I run postgresql in a Pentium
1G PC with 512m RAM,  It almost took me twenty minutes. further more,
I found the speed of PostGIS is very slow even if I have create the
index. It tooks almost double time then reading and drawing data from
shapefile. (I test this with Quantum GIS and UDig)

Anybody interests with this question can get udig at
http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/UDIG/Home

and get Quantum GIS at http://qgis.org/

best regards.