[postgis-users] Windows installer and 8.1-dev1

Mark Cave-Ayland m.cave-ayland at webbased.co.uk
Thu Sep 15 01:46:00 PDT 2005

Hi Darryl,

The rule of thumb is that minor upgrades (e.g. 1.0.3 to 1.0.4) do not
require a database dump/restore; however there may be a few rare cases where
it is necessary to dump/restore or execute SQL commands in the database
depending upon the nature of any bugs - the release notes will contain more
information on this.

At the moment, I must confess that I just recreate a new database and reload
any SQL/shape files into the new version directly. However, when I have had
to upgrade I tend to pg_dump the whole database and then use pg_restore with
the -L option to restore just the geometry_columns table data, plus any
tables and indices I have created. It's defintely an area that could be
improved, especially under Win32 which can't natively run any of the PERL
update scripts :(

Kind regards,

Mark.

WebBased Ltd