[postgis-users] meaning of distance for unprojected data?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sun Sep 18 20:50:51 PDT 2005

It works fine if you know what you are getting back. The distance is
calculated using cartesian distance math with the values being in
degrees. So you are getting back something like the chordal distance
between points in degrees. It is probably fine for small distances as
long as you remember what you are getting or only need an approximation,
but you might get better results with distance_sphere()

-Steve W.