[postgis-users] Re: Re: when rasters in Postgis?

Darryl Watson dwatson at roof-express.com
Wed Sep 28 10:56:40 PDT 2005

Patrick wrote:

><strk at refractions.net> wrote in message
>news:20050928155142.GA51082 at keybit.net...
>

> [clip]
>
>>That said, Refractions' development plans do not currently include
>>raster support, but PostGIS source code is available to anyone
>>for using, adapting and sharing. Get involved.
>>

>This is of course the cheap way to end the discussion. I understand that
>Refractions may not have the manpower available to do this singlehandedly,
>but if you guys could just facilitate the process by acting as focal point
>for discussion of specs and general guidance that would be great. I am more
>than willing to help out, both in design and in implementation, but I just
>by myself could not so easily generate the momentum and developer clout to
>bring it to fruition. Because this does take some serious thinking, to
>develop the complete specs from logical construct (what is a raster?) to db
>schema, and then implement it.
>
>Any serious takers? Contact me in private.
>
>Cheers,
>Patrick

I've been staying out of this discussion because I'm new to geospatial
computation, and storing rasters in a database doesn't solve any of my
own problems.  My own application does store thousands of pictures and
audio files, but they are only attributes of spacial objects, and so can
be treated in a traditional RDBMS way.

Patrick, I don't think strk's 'get involved' message is a cheap blow off
or shuts down the topic.  That's what this list is for; if you want to
keep talking about it and try to get additional help with developing
spatially-aware raster functions for PostGIS, that's great, keep posting
here.  It sounds to me like the Refractions people aren't interested in
pursuing that feature, but I doubt they'd actively block further
development efforts.

It sounds to me like adding raster support is a larger and more
difficult problem than when one first looks at it.  I look forward to
more discussion about the topic, if you decide to run with it.
--

Darryl Watson

Senior Software Developer

*Roof Express, LLC*