[postgis-users] Rasters -- disk paging

Gregory S. Williamson gsw at globexplorer.com
Thu Sep 29 14:26:26 PDT 2005

Without addressing any of the worthwhile questions below, let me add a foolish question --

Is it possible to adjust the amount of data transferred in one chunk in postgres ?

I've used Informix systems with BLOBs in which we could change the page size from 2k (standard for most Informix versions) -- in our case we knew that 95% of our TIFFs would fit in a 20k blob, so we defined the BLOBs for that application to use that size -- made it very efficient in that one read / write operation involved only one disk operation, rather than multiple 2k transfers. (of course that other 5% of images waste some disk space and took 2 transfers...). With Informix "raw" storage we found this to be at least as fast as standard file system storage of TIFFs.

Or is this irrelevant given postgres' underlying data storage (e.g. TOAST etc.) ?

Greg W.