[postgis-users] rasters in PostGIS...

Matthew Perry perrygeo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 01:26:05 PDT 2005

I have no idea what it would take to truly implement rasters in postgis but
I've been lurking on this whole debate and I have two major questions:

1. If you're going to run any useful SQL, your "atomic unit" has got to be a
single "cell", correct? What are the disk space costs of doing this? I can
imagine storing each cell of 16-bit tiff as a row in my "raster table" would
take massive amounts of disk space and be painfully slow to access.

2. When selecting a raster what format would it return? There's no
WKT/GML/WKB equivalent in the raster world. You'd have to pick a binary
format but which one?

Personally I'll just use GDAL (can r/w any number of raster formats) along
with OGR (can read/write postgis) along with python to script my
raster/postgis alogrithms.

--
Matt Perry
perrygeo at gmail.com