[postgis-users] Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

Emilia Venturato venturato at faunalia.it
Wed Aug 2 04:27:53 PDT 2006

Alle 19:35, mercoledì 12 luglio 2006, Paul Ramsey ha probabilmente scritto:
> It is that time of year again (conference time) so I am going to ask my
> annual question(s):
>
>      Who are you?
>      What are you using PostGIS for?
>      Why did you choose PostGIS?
>      What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?
>      What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?

  Who are you?
Faunalia (www.faunalia.it), a group of biologists and agronomists, doing
consultancy work on environment and other. 100% free software.

     What are you using PostGIS for?
- as data source for UMN MapServer and p.mapper
- as data storage for various projects (impact assessment, wildlife
studies, land use description, animal distribution ranges and
radio-tracking, habitat selection, etc.)

     Why did you choose PostGIS?
We use GRASS a lot, thus PostgreSQL, and PostGIS was an obvious
extension of our setting. We use only free (GPL/BSD) software, so most
other choices were not feasible.
Interfacing with most other freeGIS software (gdal/ogc, qgis etc.),
import/export of shapefiles are also a major plus.
Geos is fundamental for data analysis.

     What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?
Now that we have Debian packages, nothing. In the past, upgrading was tough.

     What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?
We miss raster support and routing solutions.

All the best,

Emilia

--
Emilia Venturato
email+jabber: venturato at faunalia.it
www.faunalia.it
Tel: (+39) 347-2770007 Tel+Fax: (+39) 0587-213742
Piazza Garibaldi 5 - 56025 Pontedera (PI), Italy