[postgis-users] getting non-latlon extent as lat/lon

Steve Benzo steve_benzo at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 5 05:03:09 PDT 2006

Ok, that seems to get me a bunch of lat/lon coordinates, but how do I translate those into an extent then? Thanks.

  SB

Brent Wood <pcreso at pcreso.com> wrote:
  Hi Steve....

--- Steve Benzo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a PostGIS database with multiple tables of varying projections (ie not
> lat/lon). I would like to be able to get the extent from each of the tables
> in the form of lat/lon (4326), instead of the extent in that native
> projection.
>
> I'm thinking it something as simple as, transform(results_of_extent,4326);
> but heretofore, no iteration of this has been successful. I went through the
> help and mail archive, without success. Any help/insight into this would be
> greatly appreciated.

Off the top of my head (but with some confidence :-)

select box2d(transform(, 4326) from   ;

It may need to be wrapped in astext if you want text instaed of WKB, but I'm
not sure.

Cheers,

Brent

http://mail.yahoo.com