[postgis-users] PostGIS vs. JTS

alex bodnaru alexbodn at 012.net.il
Sat Aug 5 06:55:31 PDT 2006

hi,

postgis is performing geometrical operations through a jts equivalent,
geos, or through jts compiled for c++. thus, those operations are
usually fast, even more than jts.

but postgis is also been used to allow those operations on geometries
and other data stored in a relational database, and this is very
powerful, yet complex and i/o intensive work.

so, if you wish to make gis calculations on large data stored in a
database, postgis would definitely be required, but the mere geometry
calculations might be made with jts or geos alone, maybe using a python
or other wrapper.

alex