[postgis-users] Create a view and dissolve on attribute

Craig Feuerherdt craigfeuerherdt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 22:15:23 PDT 2006

I am a newbie postgis user and have a question regarding views.

I have a table that contains polygons - poly. This table is supplied by an
external party so I don't want to alter the table structure in any way.
I have another table that lists the category each polygon falls within ie

polyid, cat
1, 2
2, 2
3, 2
4, 1
5, 3

I can create a view of categories by doing something like "select poly.oid,
category.cat from poly, category where poly.polyid = category.polyid;"

Is it possible to dissolve the polygon geometries based on the category in
the select statement above?

Thanks in advance.

Craig