[postgis-users] error in geometry operations

P Kishor punkish at eidesis.org
Sun Aug 20 19:06:08 PDT 2006

On 8/20/06, P Kishor <punkish at eidesis.org> wrote:
..
> That said, I think I have bigger problems. Actually, the query above
> didn't return anything at all, which should not be the case. The
> points (a table) is exactly the same extent as the polys (the b
> table). In other words, all the points fall within some poly or the
> other, although all the polys may not necessarily contain at least one
> point -- some polys may be devoid of points. So, 100 points should
> have been returned. I think this may be because of me fubar-ing the
> SRID stuff.
>
> As mentioned in another thread, my points were 4326 (lon/lats
> converted to points) so I TRANSFORMed(their geom, 102005), and my
> polys were -1 (although they started their life as ESRI defined
> USA_Contiguous_Lambert_Conformal_Conic) so I SetSRIDed(their geom,
> 102005) where the SRID 102005 refers to the said SRS duly added the
> the srs table and the geometry_columns table. The points table churned
> away for an hour and a half and successfully seems to have
> Transformed... but who knows, maybe it dint.

# SELECT Extent(the_geom) FROM polys
"BOX(-6334962 -1864800.25,3377040.25 1407308.125)"

# SELECT Extent(the_geom) FROM points
"BOX(-9914299 4535597.5,-4712810 13894887)"

It sure dint. Both should be about the same, and both should cover the
US, Alaska, HI, and Puerto Rico. The polys seem correct, but coord
pairs for the points extent is whacky.

Anyone any idea what went wrong where?

Nelson Inst. for Env. Studies, UW-Madison http://www.ies.wisc.edu/
Open Source Geospatial Foundation https://edu.osgeo.org/