[postgis-users] PostGIS + AutoCAD integration

Arnaud Lesauvage thewild at freesurf.fr
Tue Aug 22 00:18:14 PDT 2006

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone has any references to any work done to
> integrate AutoCAD (or Map3d) with PostGIS, and vice-versa?
>
> Also, if such integration does not exist, is there a demand for it?

I haven't found anything like that yet.

For my needs, I wrote simple VBA procedures that convert WKT
strings to Autocad entities and vice-versa, but they are too basic
to be released publicly.
There are some issues quite hard to resolve. For example, there is
nothing like arcs or circles or elipses in PostGis. The OGC
specification only knows about linear objects.
In the other way (PostGIS to Autocad), we have to make assumptions
that are not trivial : what would be a polygon in Autocad ? A
polyline, a Region, a Hatch,... ?
More complicated : how to handle polygons with holes in Autocad ?
With regions ? But they are very hard to work with.
And in general, how to handle multi-geometries in Autocad ?

I have not really searched for an answer to this questions yet,
but I am interested in any attempt to interoperate Autocad and
PostGIS !

Regards
--
Arnaud