[postgis-users] Raster Support...

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Aug 25 10:27:44 PDT 2006

Stephen Frost wrote:
> Do the OpenGIS folks have anything for raster images?  What about
> looking at what GRASS is doing?  Sorry if these are naive questions, I
> havn't really delved into dealing with raster images yet but it's coming
> up fast on my list of "things to add" to the systems I'm dealing with.

Stephen,

I am unaware of anything about rasters by sql in opengis specifications.

I am unaware of GRASS using an RDBMS to hold raster data.  They just use
their own custom file format in a particular organization of directory tree.

So I don't see any guidance in either of those.

It might be worth looking at rasters in SDE briefly, but from my limited
exposure to that in the past it does not suggest a useful organization of
rasters through sql.  My knowledge there is pretty limited though.

Best regards,