[postgis-users] Raster Support...

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Fri Aug 25 10:32:34 PDT 2006

Paul wrote:
>Last time this subject came up, I asked for use cases: once you get
>your rasters in the database, what are you going to do with them?
>(Suck them out again and put them on a screen?  Go get a WMS server,
>you wacky lunatic, stop using your database like a file system!)

OK, so maybe I'm a lunatic, but I can think of cases where storing
images in the database would be preferable to filesystem.  For
instance, with file-based JPEG2000, you have to chose an indexing
scheme based on a projected usage profile.  It seems to me that with
a database, you could have multiple indexing schemes and some kind
of query optimizer that uses the correct index for the current use.

Jason