[postgis-users] Make Check Error - Where is libgeos_c.so.1?

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Sun Aug 27 13:10:26 PDT 2006

On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 01:52:52PM -0600, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 01:32:13PM -0600, Bill Thoen wrote:
> > Turned out I just missed it. It's a symbolic link in /usr/local/lib
> > pointing to libgeos_c.so.1.1.1. But yesterday (to fix another problem) I
> > had to add /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ld.so.conf. Then when I ran
> > ldconfig, I assumed that should take care of it. But you're right. I also
> > had to add and export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib. Anyway now it works,
> > thanks! Guess I better take a closer look at the configuration steps again.
>
> Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH is handy for testing but if the library is
> in a standard location then it shouldn't be necessary.  I wonder
> if you need to run ldconfig again.

When I ran it yesterday, it fixed problem #1, but then I hit the above
problem a little later in the same session. Once you configure ldconfig's
conf files and run it once doesn't that take care it forever; including
after a system reboot as well?

At any rate, I re-ran ./configure with the
--with-geos-libdir=/usr/local/lib switch, so I hope that's the end of it.
There's so much to learn here I could do without the weird errors... ;-)