[postgis-users] Make Check Error - Where is libgeos_c.so.1?

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov
Mon Aug 28 08:06:05 PDT 2006

Bill,
      My general proceedure on fedora core systems has been to :

      1) ./configure, build, and install  proj
      2) add /usr/local/lib to one of the files under /etc/ld.so.conf.d
      3)  run ldconfig -v ( this may involve briefly disabling selinux
during this part)
      4) ./configure, build, and install geos
      5) run ldconfig -v
      6) ./configure, build , and install postgresql
      7)  add /usr/local/pgsql/lib to one of the files under
/etc/ld.so.conf.d
      8) run ldconfig -v
      9) ./configure, build, and install postgis

      I have not tried it yet on a Fedora Core 5 system, I will give it a
shot and see what issues I run into.

Doug

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov

The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of Interior.
I left my signature file in /dev/null

             Bill Thoen
             <bthoen at gisnet.co
             Sent by:                  postgis-users at postgis.refractions.n
             postgis-users-bou         et
             nces at postgis.refr                                          cc
             actions.net
                                                                   Subject
                                       [postgis-users] Make Check Error -
             08/27/2006 11:02          Where is libgeos_c.so.1?
             AM

             Please respond to
               PostGIS Users
                Discussion
             <postgis-users at po
             stgis.refractions
                   .net>

Installed from source the latest PostgreSQL, Proj4, GEOS and PostGIS on
Fedora Core 5, and am now installing PostGIS and getting stuck with the
Make
Check step prior to Make Install. I'm running this as 'postgres' and
getting this output:

CREATE DATABASE
BEGIN
psql:lwpostgis.sql:39: NOTICE:  type "histogram2d" is not yet defined
DETAIL:  Creating a shell type definition.
psql:lwpostgis.sql:39: ERROR:  could not load library
    "/home/postgres/postgis-1.1.3/lwgeom/liblwgeom.so.1.1": libgeos_c.so.1:
psql:lwpostgis.sql:44: ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands
    ignored until end of transaction block
psql:lwpostgis.sql:52: ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands
    ignored until end of transaction block
... and so on

I don't see libgeos_c.so.1 anywhere, and I'm not sure how it's created but
I did the ./configure, make and make install for the GEOS package and I
didn't see any errors from that step.

Also when I run PostGIS's Make Check it keeps asking for postgres' password
again and again. Is there some way I can specify this once and not have it
keep asking me for it?

Any help would be appreciated!

- Bill Thoen