[postgis-users] what is the units of distance parameter in the buffer function

Martin Davis mbdavis at refractions.net
Mon Dec 4 10:01:29 PST 2006

The third parameter allows control over the "discretization error"
during the generation of buffer curves. True buffers contain circular
arcs, which have to be approximated by a set of line segments.
Increasing this parameter increases the number of segments used to
approximate arcs, which (slightly) increases the accuracy of the buffer
(but makes the result geometry larger).

This parameter doesn't have a huge effect - the default of 8 segments
per quarter-circle gives only a 1% distance error. It's unlikely you'll
need more (unless say you want use buffer to generate densified circles).