[postgis-users] newbie trying to create common boundary polygons?

Jeff D. Hamann jeff.hamann at forestinformatics.com
Sun Dec 10 10:30:09 PST 2006

Sorry for the newbie questions, but I'm trying to merge the geometry of a
bunch of polygons into a table that contains only the outlines of the
"common" boundaries. Since I'm such a newbie with open/postgis, I think I
need a little help here. I have a table that contains 510 polygons and
need to generate a table that contains the common outline of the adjacent
polygons as well as the outlines of those that are isolated (a set of
"total " boundary polygons. I've tried using the Boundary function,

select
	*,
	Boundary( final_stands.boundary ) as bdry2
into table
	final_boundary
 from
  final_stands;

which returned the same number of polygons as final_stands. The total
number of boundary polygons should be much smaller.

Jeff.

--
Forest Informatics, Inc.
PO Box 1421