[postgis-users] Possible Problem with "Hard Upgrade" instructions (UNCLASSIFIED)

Cowart, Donald Z SAJ Contractor Donald.Z.Cowart at saj02.usace.army.mil
Tue Dec 12 15:35:40 PST 2006

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Hello All,

At the end of the "Hard Upgrade" section of README.postgis file (VERSION
1.1.2) included with the 1.2.0 release of Postgis we have:

	# The spatial_ref_sys table is restored from the dump, to
      # ensure your custom additions are kept, but the distributed
      # one might contain modification so you should backup your
      # entries, drop the table and source the new one.
	# If you did make additions we assume you know how to backup them
before
	# upgrading the table. Replace it with the new like this:
	$ psql newdb
	newdb=> drop table spatial_ref_sys;
	DROP
	newdb=> \i spatial_ref_sys.sql

Which does exactly what it says, drops then spatial_ref_sys table and then
tries to insert the spatial_ref_sys.sql file.

However, the spatial_ref_sys table is NOT created by the spatial_ref_sys.sql
file, so the insert fails.

So the fix would be to use:

	$ psql newdb
	newdb=> truncate spatial_ref_sys;