[postgis-users] Routing and indexing

Nathaniel naptrel at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Dec 16 05:06:55 PST 2006

The routing modules pgrouting and pgdijkstra are generating quite a
bit of discussion on this list. Although it seems a little off topic
wrt postGIS, the relevance to GIS in general seems quite obvious.

I, too, would like to do some routing sums, but in a heavy loaded,
multi-user system, the GHz-consuming server-side processing could eat
away performance very quickly. Can anyone give me any pointers to
"indexing" systems for routing algorithms---i.e. schemes that pre-
calculate shortest routes either between all, or perhaps carefully
selected "important" graph nodes, so that the shortest route does not
have to be fully (re)calculated for every query?

Nat