[postgis-users] Metadata (fgdc, etc)?

Carl Anderson carl.anderson at vadose.org
Mon Dec 18 19:18:19 PST 2006

Webb,

IMHO Metadata and datastores are or should be separate functions.

Datastores provide access to vertices, Linestrings, Polygons, Raster
data, ....
Metadata servers provides a single, searchable repository to the
datastores avaliable at a location or enterprise.

We use Geonetwork (http://geonetwork.sf.net) as a portal (HTTP, Z39.50,
CSW) to our metadata.
We configured Geonetwork to use Postgresql as its backend so we could
automatically update some of the records.

Geonetwork stores metadata records as a BLOB in the database.  That
means the entire XML document of a metadata entry is stored in a single
field.
You can very easily use XSLT functions in Postgresql or in any client
application to transform your metadata into any of the various formats
that are useful to you.

When you consider that metadata might be stored or useful in
Dublin Core with Geospatial Extensions
FGDC version 2 (CSDGM) or
ISO 19115 or
USMARC (ISO 2709)
FGDC version 3 (ISO 19139) or
anything else

The abstraction of storing the XML metadata document as a BLOB becomes
very appealing.

C.