[postgis-users] Finding Points with distance to a location.

Adam adam at spatialsystems.org
Fri Dec 29 23:12:08 PST 2006

I've changed this to give me output by miles:

SELECT
    location_id,
    (
      distance_spheroid(point_geom,
      SetSRID(MakePoint(-117.13538, 32.6857),4326),
      'SPHEROID["WGS_1984",6378137,298.257223563]') / 1609.344
    )
FROM
    locations;

How would I change this to give me the first returned row as the closest point and ascend to the farthest point?  I know I'd usually use an "ORDERY BY" clause, but what do I "ORDER BY"?  I tried "ORDER BY point_geom" but that isn't exactly in order.