[postgis-users] Permission denied for relation geometry_columns

Rolf de By deby at itc.nl
Wed Feb 8 07:58:11 PST 2006

Perhaps a kind soul is willing to help out, on a problem where I seem to
be overlooking the obvious . . .

I run a PostgreSQL8.1+PostGIS1.0 installation in a course on spatial
databases.  My users, students, have their own accounts and schemas.
There is also a public schema that has USAGE grant for PUBLIC.  Students
are supposed to create feature tables in their personal schema, and want
to register the geometry columns in public.geometry_columns.  They do so
by:

SELECT AddGeometryColumn('m6h','tempy','geom',4267,'POLYGON',2);

where m6h is both account name and schema name.

The error resulting is:

Error: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: permission denied for
relation geometry_columns, SQL State: 42501, Error Code: 0

The standard answer to this type of problem is that the user does not
have sufficient privileges to insert into the geometry_columns table, or
so I understand.   However, if the same user tries the following:

insert into public.geometry_columns
 values('','m6h','tempy','geom',2,4267,'POLYGON');

that will just succeed.  Actually the user has been granted SELECT,
INSERT privileges on that table.  Can it be that other privileges are in
the way?

I am stymied,

Rolf