[postgis-users] Partitioning spatial table

Bill Binko bill at binko.net
Sun Feb 19 12:08:53 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 10:06 -0600, David Bitner wrote:
> Will the new multi-index capabilities in 8.1 make a difference?

I don't know the answer to that, unfortunately, although I think that to
expect a multi-column index with one of the columns being a geometry to
perform well is awfully optimistic.

Remember that if you think about a multi-column index in a standard
relational database, the DB just does a concatenation of the fields and
indexes the results.  That's why the order of the fields is so important
in defining indexes, and why you often need "duplicate" indexes with
only the order changed.

Because the non-spatial field and the geometry are indexed SO
differently, I am not sure that the DB will be able to index the pair
successfully.  I _am_ sure, however, that doing it manually with the
partial indexes will work :)

Bill