[postgis-users] NumInteriorRing(s) ?

Arnaud Lesauvage thewild at freesurf.fr
Mon Jan 9 05:24:47 PST 2006

Hi all !

I used two documents as references to write my spatial queries :
- OpenGIS® Implementation Specification for Geographic
information. Simple feature access. Part 1: Common architecture
- OpenGIS® Implementation Specification for Geographic
information. Simple feature access. Part 2: SQL option
Both are the latest specifications that I got from the OpenGis web
site.

These two documents reference the function NumInteriorRing as the
function to determine the number of interior rings for a given
polygon.
The latest document also talks about NumInteriorRings (notice the
's' at the end) in the "Conformance Test" paragraph, and only in
this one (and only once, in the recapitulative table). At the end
of the document, the test query for conformance is :
SELECT AsText(ExteriorRing(shore))
FROM lakes
WHERE name = 'Blue Lake';

It appears that this function is implemented as NumInteriorRings
in PostGIS, but I am quite puzzled that the official specification
describes this function with two different spellingsand that
PostGIS apparently implements the "less-official" one (with an 's').

Thanks for your opinion on this !

Arnaud