[postgis-users] newbie question

Baris YILMAZ baris_999 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 13 15:54:49 PST 2006

Hi Adam,
Thank you very much for your prompt help.
And it was correct. I gave the exact location of the file, and it worked. :)
Thank you again.

Baris

Adam Quiney <aquiney at refractions.net> wrote:           Hi Baris,

 It could be just that the file is not located in the current directory.  It has been a while since I have manually installed a Postgres/PostGIS install, but in our installs it appears to typically reside in the contrib/postgis-.../directory.

 You can try doing `locate postgis.sql` on your machine to find exactly where it is.

 psql -d mydb -f [full path to postgis.sql] should do the trick for you.

 --Adam

 Baris YILMAZ wrote:

 Hi,

   I am new to postgresql and postgis. I installed postgresql ver 8.1 (windows version) to my computer. I read on the web site that, this also includes the postgis extension. Now, I have a problem. Using the ms console, I created a testdatabase, called mydb which has plpgsql features (with createlang plpgsql [dbname])

   Then, I try to load the postgis tools, with the command,
       psql -d mydb -f postgis.sql
       But i get the error message,
       postgis.sql: No such file or directory

       Can anyone tell me why? In the documentation, it is written that, postgis.sql is included in the installation of postgis, which is in the postgresql ver 8.1 included. But it can't find this file.
       Any help will be appreciated.    Thank you in Advice
       Baris

Adam Quiney
Analyst
Refractions Research Inc.