[postgis-users] moving from PostgreSQL 8.0.1 to 8.1.1

Ken-ichi kueda at nature.berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 17 15:36:23 PST 2006

Hi all.  I'm trying to move a PostGIS database from one machine running
PostgreSQL 8.0.1 / PostGIS 1.1 to another running PostgreSQL 8.1.1 /
PostGIS 1.1 using the "hard upgrade" procedure in the online
documentation.  When I run postgis_restore.pl, it successfully makes the
new database, creates plpgsql, and creates all the functions, but it
doesn't load my old schema or the old data, nor does it give me any
useful error messages.  It just . . . stops, I hit enter, and I'm back
at the command prompt.

I suspect this has something to do with the move from 8.0 to 8.1.1, but
I'm not sure.  I tried using pg_restore, but that told me

pg_restore: [archiver] input file does not appear to be a valid archive

Ken-ichi Ueda
Kelly Research and Outreach Lab (http://kellylab.berkeley.edu)
University of California, Berkeley
Environmental Science, Policy, and Management
Berkeley, CA 94720
tel: 510.642.8322
fax: 510.642.1477
e-mail: kueda at nature.berkeley.edu