[postgis-users] re: shp2sql and UTF8 question on Windows

Randy George rkgeorge at cadmaps.com
Mon Jan 23 12:33:10 PST 2006

Hi,

I am using postgresql-8.1.2-1 with PostGIS 1.1.1 on a Windows 2003 OS
installed using the installer from http://www.webbased.co.uk/mca/

I have a database created with ENCODING = 'UTF8'

I am then using the shp2sql translator to create a table from a shp file
with a municipio named Manat¡

¡ = hex A1

When I attempt to load the resulting sql file into the table I get this
error:

psql:test.sql:15: ERROR:  invalid UTF-8 byte sequence detected near byte
0xa1

CONTEXT:  COPY county, line 1, column NAME: "Manatí"

ROLLBACK

When I try to use the –W parameter I get this message:

WARNING: the -W switch will have no effect. UTF8 disabled at compile time

Is there a way to get around this?

Thanks