[postgis-users] unit

David Bitner osgis.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 06:42:04 PST 2006

Yes, for geographic coordinates (latitude/longitude)
distance(geometry) does not really mean anything useful at all.  Think
about what one degree along the equator vs. one degree near the poles.
 Using cartesian math, each distance is the same when in reality they
are very different.  For angular coordinates, you need to use the
angular measurements distance_spheroid and distance_sphere.