AW: [postgis-users] Linear Referencing: Create Measure

Düster Horst Horst.Duester at bd.so.ch
Mon Jul 3 02:24:52 PDT 2006

Hallo strk

Thak you very much for your response. The required function should measure
lines or multilines. For instance I need to measure a river network. The
measures of the rivers are implicit predefined during the creation process
of the river networkdata and don't represent the real world in all cases.
The predefinition bases on the two attributes "from" and "to" measure. The
"from" value represents the lowest measure value and the "to" value highest
measure value of any linestring in case of our rivernetwork. The units of
our predefined measures is km and the datatype is float8.
The work to do is to interpolate the measure of every vertex point of any
linestring/multilinestring with respect to "from" and "to". With this
approach it is also possible to create measures in percent of linelength.
You have to set from=0 and to=100.

A second case could be to calculate the measures based on the length of the
relevant linestring from zero to length. Therefore you don't need to
predefine from and to.

In both cases you have to differ between linestrings and multilinestrings.
In case of continuous linestrings you can interpolate over the whole line.
In case of multilinestrings you have to consider possible gaps in the
multilinestring. I'll attach the code of a former version of Christoph
Spoerri's lrs_create_measure. Unfortunately the lrs_create_measures
functions don't work correct yet.

I think the function call could be:
line_create_measure(geometry,[float8],[float8])

line_create_measure(wkb_geometry,from,to) or
line_create_measure(wkb_geometry,0,1) would solve the first case
line_create_measure(wkb_geometry) would solve the second case.

I hope this will be a base for a further discussion.

With best regards

Dr. Horst Düster
GIS-Koordinator, Stv. Amtschef

Kanton Solothurn