[postgis-users] bring PostGIS into the raster world

Gregory S. Williamson gsw at globexplorer.com
Mon Jul 3 15:35:57 PDT 2006

As Steven Woodbridge pointed out in an earlier post, storing the raster images on disk and referring to them in postGIS is certainly a way to go.

One reason to put images into the database is if the data is somewhat volatile and you need to endure transactional integrity; that's harder to do when some of the data is in a regular file system. A drawback can be the overhead of processing the data in/out of postgres, depending on how much of it there is and how it is stored. I've done systems in the past where we stored TIFF images in blobs in a database; we were able to tune the blob size to handle the TIFFs so disk access was quite efficient.

That said, we at GX put our imagery on disks (ok, usually an image and a backup on a second storage device); the database has the metadata about who owns the thing and what it is, the spatial coordinates, the primary and secondary locations and so on. We have some scripts that we use to move the actual files and maintain sync with the database. We're moving toward putting frequently used imagery on faster devices and migrating the lesser used data to slower cheaper storage; hard to do that with everything in one database.

HTH,

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC