[postgis-users] Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

Barend Köbben kobben at itc.nl
Thu Jul 13 00:21:11 PDT 2006

Below the abstract of a project we started here at ITC
 Note that it is a summary of a paper submitted for the W2GIS2006  conference in December (http://www.dl.kuis.kyoto-u.ac.jp/w2gis06/), so not all in here is already realised ;-)

##############
Abstract of paper submitted for The 6th International Symposium on
Web and Wireless Geographical Information Systems
December 4-5, 2006, Hong Kong, China
RIMapperWMS: a Web Map Service providing SVG maps with a built-in client

This paper introduces RIMapperWMS, a light-weight web mapping application that conforms to the Open Geospatial Consortium's  Web Map Service specification. It serves interactive web maps from a PostGIS spatial database back-end. Compared to the many existing WMS implementations, it stands out because it serves its maps in the Scalable Vector Graphics format. This allows it to offer high-quality vector cartography, with a built-in Graphics User Interface.
RIMapperWMS was based on  the concept of GDIlight, which will be introduced in paragraph 2. Based on that concept, earlier projects that have been the basis of RIMapperWMS have been developed, and these will be briefly introduced in paragraph 3. The setup and requirements of RIMapperWMS are described in paragraph 4, and finally  some conclusions and an outlook to further developments will be offered in paragraph

--
Barend Köbben
International Institute for Geo-information