[postgis-users] Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Thu Jul 13 01:53:04 PDT 2006

> It is that time of year again (conference time) so I am going to ask my
> annual question(s):
>
>      Who are you?

Brent Wood, National Institute for Water & Atmospheric Research (NIWA),
New Zealand

>      What are you using PostGIS for?

Database management for several fisheries management & research related
databases with spatial data. For standalone databases, for databases accessed
via other OS tools (QGIS) and as a data server for UMN mapserver we mapping
applications. Also as a repository for data captured from our research vessel.

>      Why did you choose PostGIS?

Price, reliability, functionality, interoperability, support (& don't ask me to
rank these :-) When used with a range of other OS GIS related packages it is
possible to create pretty effective enterprise/corporate GIS solutions.

>      What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?

Price, reliability, functionality, interoperability & support. Everything works
as advertised, if not better.

>      What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?

Nothing of note so far. Postgres/PostGIS generally matches or betters the
commercial equivalents we also use. Which is why our use of PostGIS is growing
faster than our use of commercial alternatives.

Thanks for a great product.

  Brent Wood