[postgis-users] Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

Stephen Davies sdc at sdc.com.au
Thu Jul 13 18:06:58 PDT 2006

Who are you?

Stephen Davies Consulting - information management consulting.

What are you using PostGIS for?

Primary PostGIS application is the management of soil quality (moisture,
salinity etc) and weather data collection and analysis.
Cadastral, irrigation unit and logger/probe data is stored in a PostGIS
database and associated metric data automatically uploaded for storage
and analysis.
Analysis results are fed back to farmers etc via Grace plots and/or
colour-coded Mapserver web pages and pages specially formatted for
reception by 3G mobile phones (so that farmers out in the paddocks can
review status in (almost) real time.)
The "standard" Mapserver pages are also queryable to display
metrics/analyses for selected locations.

The application also uses SMS messaging to turn water pumps on/off based
on the metric analyses.

Why did you choose PostGIS?

I am a long-term PostgreSQL user so PostGIS was an obvious first choice.
Nothing I have seen since has cast any shadow on that decision.

What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?

All of the GIS functions and capabilities that I need are there and
perform well.

What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?

I am still not confident that I know how to best handle data from
multiple zones/SRIDs given the single-SRID/table constraint of PostGIS.
This email is for the person(s) identified above, and is confidential to
the sender and the person(s).  No one else is authorised to use or
disseminate this email or its contents.

Stephen Davies Consulting                            Voice: 08-8177 1595
Adelaide, South Australia.                             Fax: 08-8177 0133
Computing & Network solutions.                       Mobile:0403 0405 83