[postgis-users] Re: postgis-users Digest, Vol 45, Issue 13

Bernhard Reimar Hoefle Bernhard.Hoefle at uibk.ac.at
Fri Jul 14 00:19:32 PDT 2006

>      Who are you?
Bernhard Hoefle, PhD student at Institute of Geography
(www.uibk.ac.at/geographie) and at alpS - Centre for Natural Hazard Management
(www.alps-gmbh.com). I'm working in a research project dealing with Airborne
Laser Scanning (ALS) Data for Natural Hazard purposes.

>      What are you using PostGIS for?

Storing ALS point clouds (up to 1 Billion points/database).

>      Why did you choose PostGIS?

Because I worked with PostgreSQL before and was (I'm still) very happy with it.
It has a quite large collection of GIS functionality that I could use. The
community is active and competent in nearly every field of interest.

>      What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?

Stable! Easy-to-use with GRASS and QGIS.

>      What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?

Poor documentation about programming/extending C functions of PostGIS.

I'll add some wishes to the list ;-)