[postgis-users] looking for a repository

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Jul 21 07:26:56 PDT 2006

Markus Schaber wrote:
> Hi, Sandeep,
>
> Sandeep Kumar Jakkaraju wrote:
>
>> The problem with libpqxx is that i am unable to call the code from an MS
>> VC ++ 6.0 Library.
>> It needs MSVC 7.0 and above !!! i.e .NET and I dont need .NET
>
> So the _real_ problem is that Visual C++ 6.0 is not capable of C++.

Hi,

I'd like to share some VC++ related comments.
VC++ 6.0 is a very bad C++ compiler, it does not use modern C++
features, provides bad support to templates etc.

> Btw, AFAIK MSVC 7.0 is still able to compile non-.NET programs...

There are no problems with compiling non-.NET source code
with any VC++ version.
So you can use
Visual C++ .NET 2002
Visual C++ .NET 2003
Visual C++ 2005

Note, that Microsoft removed '.NET' moniker from the name of
Visual C++ 2005 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Visual_Studio)
as also from names of all Visual Studio 2005 components.
The '.NET' moniker was confusing, because users were asking "can I still
use C++ language and compile it to native code or only managed code with
.NET is supported."

The same story is with transition of name of Windows CE platform:
Windows CE .NET 4.x to Windows CE 5.0 without .NET in the name.

So, none of Visual C++ does force users to use .NET framework.

Last note, the really good support of ISO C++ starts from Visual C++
2003 (internal number of compiler is 7.1).

Best regards
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net