[postgis-users] PostGIS / FOSS GIS user meet-up at ESRI's International User's Conf in San Diego?

dnrg dananrg at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 23 08:37:55 PDT 2006

I imagine there are at least some of us who are ESRI /
ArcSDE people by day, and FOSS / PostGIS folks by
night (& weekend). I'm in the dabbling phase with
PostGIS, but want to learn more.

The ESRI (beer, as in beer that isn't free)
International User's Conference in San Diego this
August seems as good a place as any to plan a get
together for those who'll be at the conference for
work.

For obvious reasons, obtaining meeting space at the
conference is improbable if not impossible. I wonder
if anyone's thought of booking meeting space for a
small PostGIS gathering / presentations. Public
libraries are always good options, but I've never been
to San Diego, don't know what's around, and haven't
yet looked.

Is this a daft idea or something worth considering?
Not a lot of time left to plan anything, but we could
plant the seeds for a smallish annual International
FOSS GIS conference, held off-hours at, say, free
meeting space in a public library. Libraries are
usually open late during weekdays, and the better ones
have nice AV meeting rooms - that *are* free, as in
free beer.

Dana