[postgis-users] Degrees to meters

Barend Köbben kobben at itc.nl
Wed Jun 14 13:57:04 PDT 2006

You still do not understand apparently: your coordinates are ALWAYS in lat/lon as long as you use the SRID 4803, because that is an SRID that is defined as being a reference system on a sphere (or ellipsoid), indicating places on the surface of the sphere as  degrees from the centre of that globe (lat /long or lambda/phi). This is unlike a projected SRID using a Cartesian coordinate system: that is a projection of the spherical earth on a flat surface, , with the coordinates being X and Y (in meters of maybe feet or similar) from an origin.

As on of the first anwersers said: read a primer on map projections. A nice one is http://kartoweb.itc.nl/geometrics/

Good luck (and learning)!

--
Barend Köbben
International Institute for Geo-information Sciences and  Earth Observation (ITC)