[postgis-users] Large Databases

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Thu Jun 29 04:58:37 PDT 2006

Hi, Robert,

Robert Burgholzer wrote:
> Very interesting. This is probably why I found that without vacuum full,
> my 2 gigabyte database ballooned to over 10 Gb in a few short weeks. Our
> db is used for the parameterization and calibration of an extremely
> large environmental model, and so parameter values are generated and
> regenerated as many as 10 times per day - causing there to be a whole
> lot of unreleased file space. As one butts up against the partition max
> size, this extra disk space can become an issue.

It seems that, besides vacuuming to seldomly, your free space map (fsm)
setting is to low.

Can you look into the log files (possibly with increased log verbosity)
and see whether VACUUM complains about the fsm setting being to low?

It must be large enough to cover all free pages collected by vacuum, or
they're "lost" until the next vacuum full.

Markus