[postgis-users] postgis geometry sizes

Michael Fuhr mike at fuhr.org
Sun Mar 5 10:23:24 PST 2006

On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 06:13:54PM +1030, Eric Lam wrote:
> I have a set of data [multilinestrings]. The data is about 2gig.

2G in what format?  The size reported by relation_size() when you
first loaded the data?  The size of a Shapefile or some other file
from which you loaded the data?

> I have
> processed the data and the data is now 11gig on disc, using the
> realtion_size() command. I have counted the number of points and the 11gig
> data set has 1/4 the number of points as the 2gig data set. Does anyone know
> why this is? I am running short on disc space.

What do you mean by "processed the data"?  Did you load the data
into a table and then do a lot of updates?  If so then the table
probably got bloated with dead tuples.  It might be interesting to
load contrib/pgstattuple and examine the table with it.

--
Michael Fuhr