[postgis-users] intersects(), touches(), overlaps() documentation issue

Amit Kulkarni amitkulz at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 7 08:38:13 PST 2006

All,

I had a situation where a line overlapped another line for a very small
distance near its endpoints. touches() returned true but I was confused
why my stored proc was not executing as it should. After some
frustrated hours checking inside the loop, I thought to pull up the
offending segments in a Desktop GIS and lo! I saw the overlap
immediately.

I was under the impression that touches() returns true and only true if
endpoints touched. Is that impression invalid? intersects() returns
true but overlap() doesn't return true?

I am attaching a jpeg. If needed I can attach a .shp

Thanks for your input